Anais Nin

“I disregard the proportions, the measures, the tempo of the ordinary world. I refuse to live in the ordinary world as ordinary women. To enter ordinary relationships. I want ecstasy. I am a neurotic -- in the sense that I live in my world. I will not adjust myself to the world. I am adjusted to myself.”

Thursday 24 June 2010

Ten Things I Know To Be True

1. The universe conspires against any attempt I make to get dressed before 9am.

2. I will never, ever be lithe and sprightly. Especially if I continue to eat Cadbury's Dairy Milk for breakfast. And lunch.

3. Sometimes it is entirely acceptable to swear at old people. Particularly if they bash you in the ankles with a shopping trolley and then launch into a tirade of insults about 'the youth of today'. Especially when you're 29. And you weren't even in their way.

4. Wine has no calories.

5. War and Peace is boring. I know, I know, I'm supposed to be a literary snob. But, seriously, yawn! People only read it so they can tell people they have read it. Well, guess what, I couldn't finish it. It was dire.

6. The word 'mum' can send you spiralling into the depths of panic-stricken despair.. or lift you above and beyond the greatest joy. Sometimes on the same day. And sometimes in the same sentence.

7. My tweenagers will never, ever think I am as cool as I think I am. Ever.

8. Feminism was never about having it all and doing it all.. it was about having the option to have it all and do it all. The choice. I choose not. (Expect more on this subject at a later date)

9. Nobody is ever around when you finish a crossword (circa Rachel Green) but you can guarantee someone is listening if you fart.

10. Hanging up on people is rude, dismissive and petulant. And sometimes absolutely necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment