Anais Nin

“I disregard the proportions, the measures, the tempo of the ordinary world. I refuse to live in the ordinary world as ordinary women. To enter ordinary relationships. I want ecstasy. I am a neurotic -- in the sense that I live in my world. I will not adjust myself to the world. I am adjusted to myself.”

Sunday 4 July 2010

When All Is Said And Done....

..Will you have said more than you have done?

I'm one of life's dreamers; I almost always have an amazing new plan or venture and more often than not the fickle Gemini inside me (always pays to blame astrological forces rather than take responsibility for your short-comings, right?) decides that yesterday's fool-proof plan wasn't such a great idea at all.. and so inevitably a new plan surfaces.

I have taken music lessons, dance lessons, Italian lessons, (life lessons?), Spanish lessons and driving lessons. I am no more qualified in any of those things than when I started. I got bored. I changed my mind. I gave up.

I've half trained as a nurse, taken law and sociology and psychology, dabbled in The Arts and have a half-finished manuscript on my laptop. I got bored. I changed my mind. I gave up.

As I move ever closer to my 30th* birthday (11 months, 2 weeks and 1 day) I realise that, unless I start saying less and doing more, I will have nothing to show for this year other than wasted opportunities. So, this is the year when I will finish something other than cake. This is the year that when all is said and done, I will have done more than I said.


*30 is my scary age. More on this later..

2 comments:

  1. Also always blame everything wrong with myself on being a Gemini ;)

    And thirty is my Scary Age too...my boyfriend turns 30 next year...such a weird thought.

    Watching the entire collection of Sex and the City made me feel much more better about turning thirty though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SATC does indeed have cathartic qualities!

    ReplyDelete